Wednesday, March 10, 2010

SOME MEMORIES ON SCOUTING


I was a boy scout. I say this proudly and with the full realization that there are those who will make derogatory statements about scouts. I will let them make those statements,because one of the things you learn in scouting is that people have a right to their own opinions and beliefs even when they are different from yours.
The things I learned in scouting saved my life at least once and saved my house from burning down. I had taken the trash out and was getting ready to burn it ( yes, we use to be allowed to do that ) and, as I lit the trash my shirt caught on fire. Instinctively I started to run but my scout training took over and I fell to the ground rolling over and over extinguishing the flames. My favorite Hawaiian shirt ( after all it genuine imitation silk ) was destroyed but I received only minor burns and an admonition from my mom to be more careful next time.
Another time my dad was cooking and some grease splattered and started a fire, again what I had learned in scouting came to mind and I grabbed the baking soda and suffocated the flames with it.
One of my favorite memories of scouting involved a strange twist of fate. We were going to go for a week long camp out, and the scoutmaster said that he would give a hatchet and knife set to the best camper. During the week I guess I did several things right, I remember he was very impressed with my Spam and eggs I brought in a quart jar which I wrapped in my sleeping bag to keep from breaking.
The contest for best camper ended in a three way tie so each of us got a first aid kit. The hatchet and knife set was used for the next camp out. A week after winning the first aid kit I was in a very bad bike accident and my mom used my first aid kit to patch me up.
Yes, the things I learned in scouting have served me well, and I would not trade some of my experiences in scouting for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment